I don't know if Data Centers will be the huge mistake many of us believe is inevitable. What I do know is that A I has some serious negatives and no proper oversight. In addition, the corporate entities who are building these spaces are not practicing the necessary courtesies of oversight that a municipality affected by the many dangers concomitant with data centers can anticipate. Among the questionable business practices are non-disclosure agreements: a wonderful opportunity to pull the wool over the public's eyes. Add to that, the unrestricted demand for potable water, which may pollute the watershed with "forever chemicals", the noise, the effects on wildlife in the area, and the not too remote possibility that this could turn out to be a thing which we mere humans cannot control.
MY BRIEF EXPOSURE TO THE CHRISTIAN RIGHT
I think I was about 14 or 15. The boy becoming the man, with the zits to show for it. I was learning my politics at family gatherings, encouraged by my uncles. The usual topic, aside from the careful talk about WWII, was Vietnam. It was known at that time as a "police action" but would soon be declared a bonified war. For a very bone-headed reason. I wrote a letter to the Editor of the Oregon Statesman, there being two Salem papers of record at that time. I opined passionately on the Vietnam War and patriotism as only a fifteen year-old male with a face full of acne could. At sometime during my rant, with no attempt at subtelty, I called our two great Senator's, Wayne Morse (D) and Mark Hatfield (R), "worms in the bowels of government". They were, and still are among our great Senators. How many middle-school boys know anything about subtelty? Shortly after the appearance of my Letter to the Editor, I recieved a subscription to a cheap newsprint monthly ca...
Comments
Post a Comment