LULU

She will be 1 year-old sometime in November, exact date  unknown. Lulu and I are still working things out. Being a cat, that means that Lulu expects me to mind her. Being a male human, I'm mostly confused. She is the first rescue cat I've raised from kittenhood. She's the first cat I've raised that doesn't need me for comfort. 

It's not that she ignores me. I believe that she loves me...on her own terms. I try to give her the space she needs. My window stays open most of the time so she can climb trees and come and go  as she wishes. If she can't get out when she wants, she jumps up on my chest and dips her head. But she will not allow me to pull her into my embrace. When she's of a mind, she will jump up next to me and bump my tablet aside to make patty-cakes against my bicep. Soon, as I smooth her fur her nails begin to become annoying. Not painful, but annoying. I move my free-hand between her paws and my arm with the gentle admonishing, "no claws". She gets up and walks away, as if to say, 
"I got your no claws, chump"!
And once more I am frustrated.

Lulu is a magnificent specimen of a cat. Long and well-muscled. Her black fur smooth and shiny. A white stripe runs down the left side of her nose, ending at her mouth with a half-moustache. A horizontal scar has recently appeared on her elegant nose, right in the middle of the white stripe. We don't know how she recieved it, possibly a squirrel. She is an agile tree-climber. She stakes out the sidewalk in front of the house, moving only for a dog-walking neighbor. 

Lulu has found a home and created the home She wanted. I'm happy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT GOOD ARE REPUBLICANS?

MY BRIEF EXPOSURE TO THE CHRISTIAN RIGHT

Marion County Commissioners.